lunedì 28 luglio 2008

Zucca / squash and pumpkin


Load Counter



Tolentino, Macerata, Marche
monumento a La Zucca, poesia di

Giovanni Sebastianelli 1874-1959
POETA DIALETTALE TOLENTINATE

from: http://agro.biodiver.se/2008/07/la-zucca/

That early stirring of globalization that was the Columbian Exchange changed Italian food and cooking forever. That’s well known. What would pizza be like without pomodori and peperoncini, after all? There’s also polenta – and pasta e fagioli. And no doubt also traditional potato-based dishes (smashed potatoes "tortino or focaccia" filled with tomatoeas and onions). But the third member of the Mesoamerican Trinity is often forgotten (squash, from which pumpkin originates)
La Zucca post, also quoted by Dr. PZ Myers, Unjiversity of Minnesota, Morris ("plants don't get enough respect" topic)

On the wall of this monument is the text of an ode to the vegetable (or fruit, but I’m not going there) by the local poet Giovanni Sebastiani (1874-1959). You can read “La Zuccahere.
The local Marche dialect is translated freely as follows:

a globous pumpkin,
a day it was laying on ground,
had the strange desire
to climb on a building..
"I would be a fool to stay down here
-while talking to itself-
I get tired to get stumps
and kicks everytimes"

try and try agian, after a while
really it got up
over a roof and there found its position..

But a cat, that was taking the sun,
as soon as got a look of it,
greeted the pumpkin with a laugh
and said these words:
" only you was missing
to annoy me.. neither up here
I can stay in peace... who brought you
my humbless Miss pumpkin?

" forgive me, my wisdomed cat,
by myself I came...
do you think that I am not able to do anything?
the pumpkin answered...
and the cat: "tell me, then,
when you learnt these new things?
but, you have potatoes in your head,
in these times, who doesn't know that
a pumpkin has a meaningless value?

"Well, hear, how many wrong sentences"
said a horse at pasture,
few steps from them;
"you don't know society, my cat,
you lack knowledge...
but why, don't you know
that only pumpkin heads
these times come floating up to surface?

and, since nobody
was answering to him,
the horse concluded with this:
"in the present days, my friends,
the best positions are honoured
only with pumpkins and donkeys!

Nessun commento:

Questo blog non rappresenta una testata giornalistica in quanto viene aggiornato senza alcuna periodicità . Non può pertanto considerarsi un prodotto editoriale ai sensi della legge n. 62 del 7.03.2001